- DO be polite. No matter how wrong you FEEL you are being treated, give the officer no reason to hold a grudge against you.
- DO NOT argue. You typically can not win the argument with the officer. There are legal avenues to address injustices. One option is to let CDL Legal’s attorneys do the arguing for you!
- DO be prepared. Have all pertinent paperwork ready for the officer. This will show you respect their authority and will give you the best chance of a good outcome.
- DO limit what you say. Be careful what you say! Officers will ask leading questions that seem harmless but can and will be used against you in court.
- Some examples:
- “How are you feeling today?” Anything suggesting you don’t feel at your best is grounds for driving while impaired. Even if you don’t really mean it
- “Do you know why I pulled you over?” They are looking to have you admit guilt.
- Some examples:
- DO read the ticket carefully before you sign. Make sure you are not signing a guilty plea.
- DO make sure you know the charge(s), and know how many days you have to respond to the court.
Following these important steps will increase your odds of getting the best result if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of getting a ticket.
- DO NOT pay the fine. There is more to the ticket than just the fine. Points are added to your license and reported through the Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS) system to your home state. Your professional and personal insurance may go up and most importantly, you are one step closer to being unemployable!!
- DO consult with CDL Legal to ensure you are protected. We will walk you through the process and get you the best possible outcome.
Here at CDL Legal we are passionate about defending truck drivers. We have over a 95% success rate keeping points off the CDL. We pride ourselves on having the best network of local attorneys. Unlike other legal plans, we put our attorneys through a vetting process. We only work with attorneys that have CDL defense experience!
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of a CDL Legal membership, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 913-738-4836